Easy Baked Italian Sausage Pasta
This easy Baked Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe can be made spicy or not spicy. It’s meat and tomato base is hearty and filling and perfect for a weekday dinner or a Sunday dinner, too.
I don’t know what I would do without pasta when it comes to cooking for the family and particularly the babies. They love pasta and when I can’t think of anything else to cook, or if the ole’ pantry is getting low – I know I can whip up a batch of some type of pasta and create a hearty meal everyone will enjoy. I love to use a variety of pastas…corkscrew, rainbow, penne – you name it. While I probably use ground beef or ground turkey in most of my pasta dishes, I also love to use chorizo or Italian sausage too. My fave is a mixture of meets to get great flavor impact.
Pasta is also a great way to sneak in some veggies. No – not necessarily sneak them in for my babies, but for my hubby. LOL I think you will enjoy this easy recipe.
Pasta Cooking Tips:
- Fill your pot properly with enough water so the pasta is completely submerged. *(reserve some pasta water for thickening)
- Salt your water like the sea. If you aren’t sure if there is enough salt, give it some more.
- Bring your water to a rapid boil prior to adding your pasta.
- Drop your pasta and immediately stir it.
- Check the package for proper cooking times as various pastas have different cook times.
More Pasta Recipes:
Follow Me On My YouTube Channel: Click HERE to Follow Me!
Tools Used in Making This Dish:
Ground Meat Chopping Tool : I do not know what I did before I had this amazing kitchen gadget.
Multi-Use Garlic Press: Multi Garlic Gadget – Presses, Minces and Crushes and Peels. I have shared this before but I LOVE it.
Onion Dicer: If onions torment your eyes like they do mine, you will thank me.
Mini Porcelain Baking Dishes: similar to the ones shown
- 1 Lb. Bulk-style Italian Sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5oz) Diced Red Tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 8 oz. Cooked Pasta (penne, rotini, etc)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 T dry parsley
- 1/2 T dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 Cup dry red wine *(optional)
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Heat Olive Oil in medium sized pan on medium heat. Once pan is hot add onions and peppers. Cook until al dente. Add garlic. Cook veggies until soft. Do not burn the garlic as it will become tender. Remove veggies from heat and remove from pan. Add Italian Sausage. As it cooks continue to chop into smaller pieces to prevent it from cooking in larger chunks. Once done, remove fro heat, drain on paper towel.
- While veggies and meat are cooking, place a large Cookpot on medium high heat. Add tomatoes, herbs and dry seasonings (do not add fresh basil), wine, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and sugar. Allow to simmer. Add drained meat and veggies and continue to simmer until sauce is thickened. If sauce has not thickened, add about a 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water.
- Once sauce is ready, add cooked pasta and stir well. Add 1.2 cups shredded cheese. Ladle pasta into a large casserole or into smaller individual baking dishes. Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese and chopped fresh basil on top. Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven until cheese is melted.