Making Homemade Lavender Deodorant
One of the main things I think all Americans (especially women!) should stop using is chemical-filled store bought deodorants. They are filled with all kinds of toxic ingredients that I feel are truly harmful to you. I am sharing my easy homemade lavender-infused deodorant recipe.
Several years ago – I came down with something some of y’all may be all too familiar with.
Itchy Pit Syndrome.
Seriously. My pits itched ALL the time. I even started to develop some inconspicuous ways to scratch my pits in public so I didn’t come across looking like an orangoutang.
After a while, I had all of the Itchy Pit Syndrome I could stand. In fact, it was getting worse and worse. So I started doing some research. It wasn’t too hard to guess that I was obviously allergic to an ingredient or ingredients in my over-the-counter deodorant.
Let me tell you..it scared me to death when I started reading the ingredients list of most deodorants and what they had the potential to cause:
- Hormone Disruptors or Parabens: these known parabens are known to be disruptors of your endocrine system. Because they prevent the growth of helpful bacteria, and can lead to a severe and adverse effect on your immune system.
- Alarming Carcinogens like Aluminum: this particular ingredient should probably be listed first as it scared me the most. Aluminum is used to block the sweat ducts and prevent a natural function of your body. There are studies that suggest it is a cause of breast cancer.
- Skin Irritants like Silica and Triclosan: deodorants also contain artificial scents and alcohol. These can lead to redness, swelling, itching and even open sores if used long enough.
Did you know the FDA only requires deodorants to prevent 20% of sweating? 20%? If the product says its is “extra strength” the requirement is only 30%. So you are applying dangerous and harmful chemical products to your skin – an an area of your body that is close to several lymph nodes – but you’re only guaranteed a 20-30% success rate. That doesn’t seem like a fair trade off to me. Does it you?
That’s when I started making my own. How hard could it be? Some more research revealed it was pretty easy and only required about 3-4 ingredients, some which were common household items. I have experimented a bit until I found a recipe that works for me. Some people may sweat more, or some may sweat less but have more odor. Don’t be afraid to add a bit more of one particular ingredient to find out what works for you!
- Baking Soda
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Organic 100% Therapeutic Lavender Essential Oil
- *(opt) Organic 100% Therapeutic Thieves Essential Oil
- Refillable Small Glass Lidded Jars
Here’s My Recipe:
- 3 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbs Cornstarch
- 2 Tbs Baking Soda
- 3-4 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 3-4 Drop Thieves Essential Oil
Mix all ingredients until well blended, place in a lidded glass jar. Apply as needed with fingertips.
Why Add Lavender and Thieves Essential Oils?
Lavender is known to disinfect the skin and enhance blood circulation. It offers a pleasant aroma, as well. Thieves is used to neutralize bacteria and is know for its benefits when it comes to the 4 A’s: Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antiseptic and Antioxidant.
The best part about making your own deodorant is that you are not putting even more unnecessary chemicals onto your body which can be dangerously adsorbed. This recipe lasts for several months and its so easy to make you can easily whip up another batch when needed. Let me know what you think if you make this!
Tag #TheEverydayHome on social media if you share this idea.
Have a beautiful day! xxoo, Barb
I would love for you to Pin & Share this image on your fave social media sites.
Simply scroll the center of the image and click the icons of your choice.
Thank you for spending a few
minutes of your day here with me.
You can follow along with
The Everyday Home here….
Here are some of the Link Parties I may be sharing this post with.
You can find more parties on my Linky Party Page.
” Everyday Ideas for Your Home & Life! “