I mean – who doesn’t love it?
Ok, well maybe some of you.
It’s one on our fave types of foods here at The Everyday Home, and I find
myself adding Southwestern and Mexican flavors to ordinary dishes as a
way to spice things up.
Country Crock invited me to share one of my favorite Family Casseroles
perfect for busy schedules and mom’s on the go.
This is definitely one of them.
There are several things I love about this casserole.
1) It’s easy to fix. Prep time is less than 30 mins.
2) You can make it as spicy as you like.
3) You can prepare it the night before and bake it the next day.
4) The leftovers taste even better!
This casserole has all the goodness of Mexican food that you love…
a beefy-tomato base, refried beans for thickness, green chiles,
cumin and coriander. You can even divide the recipe to bake one
casserole for dinner, and freeze one for later.
Have you got some leftover chicken or did you just buy a rotisserie
chicken on the way home? Perfect, that works, too. I’ve also used
ground turkey with the same delicious results.
The ingredients, as you can see, are pretty basic. But, there is one
secret I have for getting a really tasty cornbread every single time.
Adding 2 Tablespoons of melted Country Crock to your cornbread batter
will not only enhance the flavor, but will add a cake-like consistency, too.
Did you know the following facts about Country Crock?
– It contains 0g of trans fat per serving
– Contains no partially hydrogenated oils
– No cholesterol
– 70% less fat per serving than butter
– 30% fewer calories per serving than butter
I love a good casserole recipe. They are convenient and best of all, they
generally can be created with simple ingredients, to include leftovers.
I hope you will give this one a try – and let me know what you think.
I have a whole section in my recipe book dedicated to Casseroles,
but this is the one that I love to fix the most.
I have pinned this to my “Everyday” Back to School Recipes board at
Pinterest, and I would love for you to follow me there. You call also
follow the Country Crock Pinterest board.
- (2) Lbs Lean Ground Beef (chicken or turkey can be substituted)
- (1) Medium Onion, chopped
- (1) Can diced tomatoes
- (1) Can Refried Beans
- (1) small Can Chopped Green Chiles
- (1) Can of Creamed Corn
- (1) Package Cornbread Mix
- (1) Egg
- (2) Tablespoons melted Country Crock
- (2) Cups Shredded Cheddar
- (1) Tablespoon Cumin + (1) teaspoon cumin
- (1) Tablespoon Chili Powder + (1/2) Teaspoon Chili Powder
- (1) Tablespoon Ground Coriander
- (1/3) Cup Milk
- Brown meat and onions until done, drain excess grease as needed. Add can of chiles, can of undrained tomatoes, 1/2 can refried beans (about 1 cup), 1/2 can creamed corn, 1 Tsp cumin, coriander and chili powder. Salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer so the beans melt into the meat and thickens the mixture. Add more spices to your taste. While meat mixture is simmering, pour cornbread mix into a medium mixing bowl. Add egg, melted 2 Tbs Country Crock, 1/2 can creamed corn, 1 cup shredded cheese, 1/3 cup milk. Add 1 tsp cumin and chili powder. Mix well.
- Pour meat mixture into a 13x9 glass casserole dish or baking pan. Pour the cornbread mixture on top, spreading evenly over the meat. Place in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until cornbread is brown and passes the "clean fork test" for doneness.
- (opt) Sprinkle with shredded cheese and place back into the oven until melted, if desired. Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and chopped green onion. A dollop of sour cream is the perfect topper.
I hope this becomes a family favorite for you, too!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions
expressed here are all my own.
Delivered by FeedBurner